On 9/14/2016 12:23 PM, John D'Orazio wrote:
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org> wrote:

In the long term, work on the build system would be extremely valuable.
That would make it easier to convert initial interest to long term
contributions.

[...]

I made some changes recently to the step-by-step instructions for Windows,
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guid
e_AOO/Step_by_step#Windows_7.2C_Windows_8.1. They should be tested by
building on a machine that has not previously been used to build OpenOffice.

Thank you Patricia for your contribution to this, it has encouraged me to
give the building process a shot on my own Windows 10 system. I've made a
couple of changes to the step-by-step instructions as I followed along and
ran into a few issues, for example the dmake url was dead and needed to be
substituted with a working link from sourceforge, and the paths for the
Windows 7 SDK and DirectX SDK needed to be changed to paths without any
spaces (the build process was getting blocked by this). Also the necessary
perl modules hadn't been mentioned so I've added those in also. My build
has been running for about 5-6 hours now and has not yet finished, at least
it hasn't terminated with any errors so far! If it does terminate
successfully then I'll add "Windows 10" alongside Windows 7 and Windows 8.1
in the step-by-step guide.

Thanks. That sort of continuous improvement is just what the build instructions need.