I am puzzled a little bit about the idea of "loyalty to the original"
OpenOffice.

1. The original OpenOffice.org was operated by a proprietary company,
although the code was made available as open-source.  But ownership
was held by Sun Microsystems for their proprietary purposes.  There
was great value to OpenOffice.org, but not so much because it was
open-source.  I think key benefits were support for ODF format,
multiple-platform support, and degree of support for Microsoft
formats.  There was no open-source governance in this arrangement.

When LibreOffice forked that code, as the license allowed, some were
unhappy in any case.

2. When Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems, OpenOffice.org became their
property in the same manner as at Sun.

3. When Oracle concluded that continuation of OpenOffice.org was not
in their interests, they chose to grant the ASF a license to use the
code base and to provide it under a license of the ASF's choosing
(always Apache License of course).  This is how Apache OpenOffice
arose.  AOO became Apache Project after being in Apache Incubator.
People interested in supporting OpenOffice.org signed-up to
contribute to the incubator and some formed the original Project
Management Committee for AOO.  AOO has always been an Apache
Project.

What "original OpenOffice" is thought of here?

The „original“ was StarOffice. And yes, you described right the way of the „original“ OpenOffice – as I understand it as a user (with many contacts to StarDivision/Sun/Oracle) using StarOffice/OpenOffice for over 20 years.

Regards, Mathias