On Mon, 22 May 2017 08:23:54 +0200
Peter Kovacs <peter.kov...@posteo.de> wrote:

> So we have 3 ) critical bugs?
>
> 1) # issue
> 2) spell checker
> 3) I don't have in mind but Hagar mentioned it in his bugzilla thread.

The # issue seems caused usually by overhasty close down of the computer, after
space has been allocated in the zip archive but before the data has been
written to that space, which on inspection is usually 00 (zeroes).

The spellchecker problem seems highly user related.  In almost all cases it is
cured by deletion or renaming of the OO user profile.  Why it sometimes occurs
after installation or upgrade of OO I do not know - I would guess that this may
be caused by "finger trouble" - the user using some non-standard method of
installation.

Instances of faulty spellchecking on a previously good installation seem to
arise from partial corruption of registrymodiifications.xcu, which may be
attributed to over hasty close down of the computer before the
software/hardware write buffers have flushed to disk (remember that modern hard
disk drives also have internal data buffering).

Most of these instances of file corruption/faulty spellcheck occur on Windows.

Long time computer users, who honour the correct power off procedures, do not
seem to have these problems.

A major requirement is that the original file should be backed up at the start
of an editing session, so that in the event of a file corruption, only the
current edit changes are lost.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>