While security and releases are important, they are not the only issue that is
going on.
Because I have some build issues I try to bridge my time to work on issue
tracking from time to time.
Most of them we close down.
Imagine you bought Openoffice for 3 £ and something not working.
You wasted money and time. Maybe one or 2 days you bug around without any
knowledge.
For some reason you end up in Bugzilla. Where your user issue gets closed with
the reasoning "not an issue"
If you are not to frustrated you will see the hint pointer to our dev list, and
forums. Still this excuse did cost us transparency and resources.

Where does security or releases play a role in this?
What is the solution to this?

Maybe this perspective gives again another reason why I started the Bugzilla
Thread.
However the List got stuck quickly with other problems which seem to be more
interesting / important to the dev community.
Even this point might be seem minor to some, I think we can work on a solution
and improve the process. (And enjoy a small improvement)
Releases and security will stay hot topics for a while.
I don't see which steps can be done to improve the situation for security and
releases. You said you need another week until 4.1.4 has reached maturity for
release.
Security I have brought up (in an awkward way) and it's beeing now discussed by
people in charge, how this can be processed.

I hope this helps.
Peter