Am Dienstag, den 05.09.2017, 07:16 -0700 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> On 9/5/2017 7:11 AM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > To be honest I am not very happy with gmake and ant. It is
> > difficult to
> > add the functionality to Eclipse. Also we stay dependant for
> > Windows on
> > Cygwin or Windows Subsystem for Linux, which feels to me awkward.
> > Also
> > if we want to have people develop on Windows. A good build
> > environment
> > is vital.
>
> I am curious about why you consider the requirement for Cygwin to be
> awkward.
>
> I use UNIX command line tools, especially the svn command and the
> combination of find and grep, far too often to not have Cygwin
> running
> anyway.

Cygwin brings much more then commandline tools. It is a complete System
on a system. It has a complete brainwashed Interface for maintaining
your installation. It is not very well integrated to the Windows
Platform, which I very much dislike.
I think you have to respect the Platform you provide the service for.

However I dont like Putty either. So I am a very special case of a
nerd. There are good alternatives around, thought.

I like MobaXterm. Has all I want ready to use. Including ready to use
XServer support for SSH. There is a USB version out there that does not
need any installation. The xserver support was a bit awkward on cygwin
when I tried to set it up. (that was years ago.)
It is a broken down Cygwin, but much better integrated and usability.

Or I like git for Windows which provides a bash.
There is also a Bash for Windows project I think. In combination with
ConEmu it is realy good. If you jsut need a small bash.

I think there is also a bash for Windows project.

And I think Powershell is a good alternative to bash. I enjoy using it
even I have to learn the different approach it takes. But logic is
pretty streight forward. On my work Laptop I use ConEmu with it.

And I am a big fan of chocolatey. At least as much as a Windows
disliker like me can be a fan of something on Windows ;)

Plus in my experience Windows Users (Developer or not) tend to react
quite allergic to Linux and other half eaten fruit OSes. So not haveing
them to install that, is a lower barrier. :)
In general all People I met reacted quite allergic to the system they
were not a fanboy of.

All the best
Peter