Hi Patricia

Am .10.2017, 23:42 Uhr, schrieb Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>:

On 10/14/2017 2:24 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
On my Windows 10 machine, Spellcheck defaults to en-US spelling,
regardless of the language of the installation. I have tested this with
both fr and en-GB. (French and the two variants of English are the only
languages I know well enough to test.) For each document, I have to
specify the language before it will spellcheck correctly.
So, spellcheck aside, the default language for text in the document (this is an attribute at a character level, Format - Character) is set to en-US. I don't think this depends on the OpenOffice UI language, but rather on your profile settings. Under Options - Languages you can set the default language for your future documents (separate from the UI language). If this is respected, then I don't see an issue here.

OK, I can manually set it through Options - Languages. It still seems strange to me that the default language for documents is independent of the installed language.
No that's not strange. You maybe want to have a Document in French, but you don't want to switch the UI. A common case if you work in different languages. Normally OpenOffice takes over the language settings from the OS. But something is wrong there. I didn't find out what.

Regards Raphael