I think it is better to renew the installer completely. I have found a open
source framework that simplifies the creation of the installer and builds the
msi file for us.
It offers .net framework for writing a installer screens (MSI does not provide
such a thing). The tutorials I have read looked pretty streight forward, at
least for the standard installer stuff.

I think I read that you can include a dependance msi package in the msi package.
But I forgot again. I looked into msi a month ago. The last month has been
quite intense for me.

We could deliver a single MSI file in future and even create the patch file
from it.

I am currently unsure concerning the package signing, but once we have a pure
MSI  setup it should be easy to add too, right?