On 05/23/2018 05:35 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Subj line sez it all... where are we? There was a proposal to make it a
> run-time dependency but afaict there hasn't been any effort yet it doing that.
>
> I know we have a handful of other things TODO re: 4.2.0 but this seems to be
> an inflection point for the Linux builds and so I really think we need to
> resolve this if we have any intent in getting a 4.2.0 beta out in a
> reasonable time frame.

What would happen if we simply stopped including the --with-gstreamer
option in the build? Mac and Windows builds don't use it, and it only
applies to Linux.

I haven't investigated the code much to see how the gstreamer libraries
are used. The Linux distros now mostly use Freedesktop lower level
interfaces except I don't know what Unity uses. Is building with
gstreamer still needed/compliant with this? In short, how are video
applications determined in Linux now? Do we need a different approach
for integration of video objects in Linux?

If anyone knows the history of this, it would be very helpful to this
discussion.