Starting with Java 9 (the same is true for Java 11, just pointing out the first
version that may
exhibit this behaviour) there are at least two important changes:

  * modularisation (with the effect that setAccessible() will not work anymore
if applied to objects
    from non-exported modules),
      o up to and including Java 8 it was possible to force invocation of
methods using
        setAccessible() on all objects (unless an explicit security manager
would prohibit this);
        starting with the modularization one cannot pass by this restriction;
however, if there are
        access rights in a superclass to the desired method/field/constructor,
then using that class
        object's method, field and constructor objects would allow invocation
on Java 9 and higher
        as well),

  * no JRE anymore, the JDK (Java development kit) becomes the new JRE (pure
Java applications can
    create an adjusted runtime environment starting with Java 9).

---rony

P.S.: For testing various versions of Java on various operating systems a good
place to look around
for it would be: <https://adoptOpenJDK.net/>.