Dave Fisher wrote:
I plan to investigate what happens if we map those sub domains.

I don't think we have an issue here. I mean, if someone writes "extension" instead of the proper "extensions" this is just a typo, right? By that metric, then we should also redirect "ww" to "www", typos like "extentions" to "extensions" and so on. I don't think it is worth it.

test if a dns change will help. If it will then we can ask Infra to change the
dns records.

No, a DNS change is definitely not the way to go.

Thanks to the "universal redirect" we have in place to accommodate legacy (pre-2011) openoffice.org subdomains, I think we can fix this as follows:

- Right now, the wrong URL "extension.openoffice.org" goes to http://www.openoffice.org/projects/extension/ (which does not exist)

- We simply put something there (and we can do this with a simple SVN commit) like:
  ---
OpenOffice Extensions: see https://extensions.openoffice.org
OpenOffice Templates: see https://templates.openoffice.org
  ---
and no automated redirect.

Anything else will lead people to use wrong URLs and distribute them, and will make any future changes more complex. This way we still help people who write the wrong URL, but we make clear which URL is correct.

Regards,
  Andrea.