Hello Peter, and thank you for taking time to reply.

On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 04:58:19PM +0100, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 07.02.21 16:22, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > re-replying to Jim's message.
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 02:25:16PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > > Funny that you bring this up... I'm been tracking down some bugs and they
> > > all seem to be XML related... fastsax->libwriterfilter with occasional
> > > cores
> > > due to __cxa_call_unexpected.
> > >
> > > I feel that making AOO more fragile by trying to work around cases where
> > > invalid and/or non-compliant XML is encountered is just wrong. We should
> > > either ignore the error (catch it) or raise an exception. Invalid data
> > > shouldn't
> > > be tolerated. Additionally, trying to be "lenient" is an easy vector for
> > > vulnerabilities.
> > For the record: the detection of duplicated attributes is made
> > internally by the expat library. Our code just receives the error
> > message and cannot do anything to recover it.
>
> I think it is not an issue of expat itself. It is an issue of how expat is
> setup.
>
> From the pure xml lore you can allow multiple elements of the same name.
>
> consider unordered HTML List, as a reference.

I may have explained myself wrong...  I am not talking about
duplicated _elements_ but rather duplicated _attributes_.

To remain in your example, the problem is not having multiple <li>
elements, but rather something like:
<li attr="I" attr="am" attr="looking" attr="for" attr="conflicts">

[...]
> We could provide a helper to help the user to figure out what has happened
> maybe.

By "helper" do you mean a separate program or a function inside AOO?

[..]
> > I am looking forward to opinions ... and possibily reviews of PR 122
> > please ;-)
> I plan to have a look!

Many thanks!

If we approve it, I will surely need your indication (as per a
address.

Best regards,
--
Arrigo