Hi Gavin,

Thanks for bringing this up.

This is an interesting proposal which I would like to discuss as a fresh
request. I’ll include some notes about ASF Infra works so that the community
can understand the constraints.

I have some questions and concerns about this proposal.

(1) As part of this update Infra requested that we change from using Infra’s
MySQL server to moving this onto the VMs. Under this plan is this still the
case? If so, does your load analysis take this into account?

(2) Each of the three sites uses different configurations to display content
from within the HTTPD server.
- phpBB - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/ug/
- mediaWiki - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/PHP_configuration
- pootle -
http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/pootle/en/stable-2.8.x/server/installation.html

(a) For phpBB and mediaWiki we need to assure that the php and mysql
configurations are compatible.
(b) For pootle we’ll need to assure that it’s python based approach and
database choices are also compatible,

(3) translate.apache.org - the pootle service gets its httpd service locked up
frequently and then it is currently crontab’s to restart. I’m not sure that is
a “solution" that is compatible with shared services. We’ll also need to
understand more clearly from the L10N team their special requirements.

(4) I am pretty close to ready to do the forum migration. The one last bit was
understanding how to get full administrative control over the forums. I found
the way a couple of weeks ago.

(5) In addition to migrations each of the software packages needs to be
upgraded.

(6) If we go down this path I would recommend that we combine Forum and Wiki
first and once that is done we consider pootle.

(7) Since Infra uses puppet to configure VMs is there an easy way to use puppet
to configure an equivalent docker image? (Thanks Peter). Doing this would allow
more community members to participate in maintaining these critical resources.

For me. I can work with Infra on moving forum and media wiki to the same VM. I
have a new job which will limit my volunteer time for this to Sunday and
perhaps one evening. Having more community sysadmins would be great.

All The Best,
Dave