On 07/01/2023 16:31, Dave wrote:
> The marketing mailing list has a deteriorating level of usefulness.
> Since 2014 there have been 330 posts, the majority of which had very
> little to do with the "marketing" the software or promotion of the project:
>     Year Posts
>     2014  211
>     2015   40
>     2016   43
>     2017   21
>     2018    4
>     2019    2
>     2020    3
>     2021    3
>     2022    3
> Total     330
>
> Apart from the small flurry of activity in 2014 just before Rob Weir
> retired from the project. the mailing list has served almost no useful
> purpose, other than to attract a steady 24/7 stream of spam posts.
>
> Since the project doesn't engage in any marketing activity and those few
> events at which we attend are normally discussed on the dev list, I
> propose that, unless any member of the project can offer any clear and
> fully justifiable reason for doing otherwise, we shut down the "spam
> bait" marketing list.
>
> Dave

Thanks to everyone who replied. The consensus appears to agree with the
proposal.

Is there anyone on this list with the karma to shut down the list, or
should I submit a request to infra?
I will make the necessary changes to:

It also appears that the ooo-...@incubator.apache.org is still open (not
openly advertised) to receive a regular stream of spam post submissions.
Since we came out of incubation many years ago I will close or arrange
to close this and any other ooo-...@incubator.apache.org lists I find.

Obviously this is an issue mainly of interest to list moderators, but I
like to think this is a small step towards lowering the spam bots
interest in flooding our project mailing lists.

Regards
Dave