On 12 Mar, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> thank you for your detailed report!
>
> Most of the technical things are above my understanding. ;-)

Some of it is beyond mine, in particular the iterator stuff.  I'm also very
unfamiliar with that part of the code and have no idea how to test it
properly.

> But what I saw in the 4.1.14 development process was, that we have a big
> amount of code changes in trunk/AOO42X, that never got backported/released.

Yes.  The code and build framework in trunk/AOO42X is much better than
AOO41X.

> Normally, we should release it with AOO 4.2.0, but since that process is
> stagnating over years I would prefer to cherry-pick code into AOO41X
> (where possible).
>
> I already made some commits (mostly optical changes):
>
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice/compare/AOO4114-GA...AOO41X
>
> And maybe we can get AOO42X in a stable condition in parallel?

Trying to cherry-pick a lot of this stuff back into AOO41X would be a
lot of work.  There are a lot of commits that would need to be
inventoried.  There are also a lot of interdependencies, so the
cherry-picks would have to be done in the right order.  Then there would
still likely be a bunch of merge conflicts that would need manual
intervention to resolve, with thie possibility of introducing bugs.

I see this as putting a lot of effort into something that is ultimately
a dead end.  I think it would be better in the long run to get 4.2.0 out
the door.

Something else that should be higher on the priority list is migrating
to a more modern Windows toolchain that has support for modern C.  We
spent too much effort on working around the limitations of our current
Windows compiler when importing new versions of bundled third-party
code.