Hello All,

replying mid-thread.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 04:41:37PM +0200, Corentin Verbrèghe wrote:

> Hello,
> I think that making my proposal an extension of AOO is a bad idea, I rather
> thought that it should be part of the software because the problem of an
> extension is that it does not install automatically. Moreover, this could
> improve the gallery to make it much more interesting and complete, with an
> almost infinite choice of images, illustrations, icons and even audio files
> available for everyone. The fact that it is not an extension will make AOO
> more interesting and useful compared to before and other software such as
> LibreOffice.

Let's not forget that extensions could be embedded within the official
installer.

Choosing between an extension and "something else" (a module?) is IMHO
a choice about how to _develop_ this.

By keeping a separate code base from the AOO main trunk, we could have
more focused development.

By using an extension, we would have the possibility to update that
``part of AOO'' without recompiling the full AOO distribution, during
the development.

I also expect that developing an extension will be easier than
learning how the AOO code is organized, what classes do what etc.  And
maybe we may not even need C++, but rather Basic, Python or other more
accessible programming languages.

I hope this makes sense, and I encourage anyone interested to start
reading this:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_development

Best regards,
--