Hi Juergen,

the media playback implementation depends on an installed media backend
on your system.

On Windows, this is quite easy, since there's a backend
installed on every system through the default Windows Media Player
stuff. Actually, we use the DirectShow SDK, which is available on "every" Windows system.

On Unix systems, there's no such default backend available. One uses
Xine, the other uses MPlayer and so on. Best thing would be to write
support components for every media backend. Since this was not possible
for OOo 2.0, we concentrated on one backend in the first run: The Java
Media framework (JMF). This needs to be installed on your system in order to get media support on Linux at the moment. Please take a look
at the JMF site to find more information about JMF and the supported formats:

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf

After this initial installation step, you need to tell OOo where your JMF installation is located. So, you have to set the appropriate
classpath to your jmf.jar file via "Tools => Options => OpenOffice => Java => ClassPath...".

It is planned to have more backends supported in the future.

Regards
Kai