Well normally ooffice, oowriter, ... are bash-scripts or even perl (on
mandrake) starting soffice to popup the appropriate OpenOffice-Application.

On Mandrake for example one would have to same problem because:
ooffice2.0 does the following:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

my $SystemInstallDir = '/usr/lib/ooo-2.0';

exec "$SystemInstallDir/program/soffice", @ooo_argv

which means soffice is not in my path. So the bootstrap can not work by
default.

Tom