Hi,

I'd like to announce a change in the update behavior of integrated (formerly: bundled) extensions.

As you may know, OOo3.3 provides better means to bundle extensions with the product by integrating them into the installation process more tightly than before.

See spec for details:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Setup_-_Bundled_Extensions

One point I'd like top point out is the changed update behavior of such integrated extensions:

Integrated extensions shall not ping for updates. Any update
> available will be deployed exclusively via later releases of
> the main product OOo.

There are at least two reasons for this:

1) When integrated into setup, functionality provided by an extension no longer represents itself as an extension to the user. And as with all the other components / modules / features of OOo, users don't expect single features to update themself during the life time of a release's deployment. ("My colors don't update, why should the dictionary do?")

2) With a release, we guarantee our users a certain level of quality of the overall product, including all of the integrated components. Though we all do our best to avoid mistakes, we shall not weaken such a guarantee by allowing single components (our of the integrated set) to have their own life cycle and potentially risk the overall quality.

This only applies to integrated extensions. It doesn't affect extensions, which users install actively.

Please let us know your thoughts on this.

Thanks, Lutz.