On 19.05.2011 16:40, tora - Takamichi Akiyama wrote:
As you pointed out, the installed font might be one of the factors.
Excel files are prepared on Windows while I am trying to open them on
CentOS and/or Solaris. Those systems have a different font set.

Another point that I have been suspecting since OpenOffice.org 2.x is
artificial "Ascendant." The vcl module had implemented a feature that
mathematically produced an artificial "Ascendant" of glyph.

Compared with typical Western font files which usually have certain
amount of ascendant, typical Japanese font files have an ascendant of
value zero from, probably, historical reasons.

To make implementation of the upper layer applications such as Writer,
Calc, and Impress, the underlying module, "vcl," tries to internally
take care of the differences.

It is good, but, I feel, the artificial ascendant, thus, virtual text
height, might be slightly higher than its expectation. That might lead a
cause to slightly increase unnecessary amount of row height.

There's been some tweaking of CJK font metrics in VCL, but I'm not really familiar with that.

BTW, in contrast to the topic on "artificial ascendant," what I have
been currently aiming at is that how to create an preview image of
Microsoft Office files running on back-end servers without any user
interaction.

For the purpose, which might be better?
(a) One spreadsheet is converted into a single too-small image file.
(b) One spreadsheet is converted into two or four image files.

Reducing a font size right before calling OutputDevice::SetFont seems to
work. I am trying this attempt for a while.

If you want to shrink everything to make sure you don't generate too many pages, perhaps it's better to reduce the print scale (ATTR_PAGE_SCALE, or PageScale via API). That would apply to simple cells and EditEngine content equally.

Niklas