Hello list,

I am trying to import the planet file into PostgreSQL/PostGIS.

I was already in contact with Jon Burgess, the author of the tool
because I had a "Segmentation fault" after some hours of processing.
He suggested to try the "--slim" option., although it makes the
process very slow. I tried it (without changing the default 800MB
cache setting).

So this is where I am after 23 hours! of processing:

@23:37: Node(296117k) Way (18324k) Relation(0k).

@18:12: Node(296117k) Way (11777k) Relation(0k).

So the "Ways" are no increasing very slowly with about 1 Way/ 4 sec.

How many ways are supposed to be there?

How long should it take to run osm2pgsql with the planet-
latest.osm.bz2 file?

This is my set up:

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.66Ghz
2GB RAM
swap disk 4GB
Ubuntu 8.10

Should I restart the whole process? I think it has gotten way to slow
and it is not worth waiting.

I can try and give the process more memory with the --cache option.
How much shoud I give?

Is there a way to make use of both CPUs? How do I set the priority of
osm2pgsql to the max?

Thanks a lot for any advice!
Ivo