Hi thanks for the quick response
Well actually my mail is in response to one of the ideas published here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GSoC_Applications_2009#Static_Maps_API
The basic idea is to have a Static API like Google's static
API<http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/staticmaps/>
:
I think what this essentialy means is that the content shall be delivered in
the form of an image file ... well the  advantage that I see for a web
designer would be that it would be much lighter option.
For the implementation: I had thought that we would have to dynamically
create an image from xml but we could also use one of the available
rendering engines to create the image.
I am sorry for not being specific i was just thinking out loud as i was  not
sure of  the project  requirements but your response has helped me in
understanding it.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Milo van der Linden <
milovanderlin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Amit!
>
> Nice to hear from you.
>
> amit sethi wrote:
>

>> I am a student interested in applying to Gsoc idea : Developing a statics
>> map API for openstreetmap like the one for Google map.
>>
> Could you define "static map api? In what way will it be different to
> openlayers? Do you have any details?
>
>> The major work involved :
>> Can openstreetmap data be converted to GIS / GDAL
>>
> Yes; you can convert .osm to shapefiles and from there pull the shapefiles
> through ogr
>
>> Real Time conversion of openstreetdata to image files ( MapniK is one of
>> the tools that can do this . Can it be used for OSM data.)
>>
> It is already. Mapnik is the render engine of choice used by openstreetmap.
> All it would need to know is when and where data has changed in order to
> trigger the rendering of tiles
>
>> If openstreetmap data can be converted to GIS why not deliver it through
>> GeoDjango
>> --
>>
> open GIS = www.osgeo.org and geoDjango is not yet a project of the open
> geospatial foundation. For now, the openstreetmap api and the tileservers
> are serving data; aren't they? Please be more specific as with the term
> "GIS" do you mean OGC standards? Do you mean desktop GIS?
>
>  A-M-I-T S|S

A-M-I-T S|S