Andy,

> Ultimately the formation of a mini project is probably needed. Input from
> those like yourself willing to work on it and the will and time from others
> who would need to support the work, including sysadmins.

I had hoped that this could be (re-)solved rather unbureaucratic and
without the need to involve the Wiki :)
The wiki tends to drag discussions on....

> I'm sure its all possible, but like so many things in OSM it also has to be
> practical and realistic to have any real chance of gathering momentum.

Your and the other answers suggest to me that it is practical and
realistic, thanks! At the moment I'm fully motivated to do what I
can/need to get the data I want. Hopefully that's enough momentum.

Cheers,
Lars