Hi,

I would like to introduce my idea for GSoC. We already have many POI
details in the database (opening hours, website/wikipedia article,
phone, ...) that are not very accessible to the end user. There is also
a growing demand for an easy way to display icons for rare tag
combinations, like new OSM for the blind tags, "fuel stations" for
electric cars, pubs for smokers, and so on. My experience is also that
mappers are highly motivated if they can view their special details.

I was inspired by the demo introduced at SOTM09 [1] and the
OpenStreetBrowser [2] and tried to build a map with clickable POI
overlays (no tiles, but OpenLayers markers) that would provide the
tagged details as human readable text when the user clicks an icon.

This is in a proof of concept state and turned out to be useful (i.e.,
for the OpenLinkMap [3]).

If you want to support any possible tag combination with reasonable
performance and also be up to date (at least daily updates, aiming for
real-time) in my opinion none of the existing API solutions is suitable.

This is where the project idea [4] comes into play: MonetDB seems to
have the right capabilities and can be extended with spatially ranked
text search features.

The project could provide the API (including text search) and usage
examples, i.e. an OpenLayers example to build a map for end users (and
mappers) making the existing data more accessible in terms of search and
presentation.

I would like to hear your comments and suggestions. What do you think?

[1]http://xapidemo.openstreet.nl/
[2]http://www.openstreetbrowser.org/
[3]http://olm.openstreetmap.de/
[4]http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GSoC_Project_Ideas_2010#Point_of_Interest_search_and_presentation