Hi Martin,

> it seems as if doesn't expose way membership to the user currently. In
any area with multipolygons or turn restrictions or, likely more difficult
to fix, other types or relations, mappers will really break a lot without
even being able to notice.

It doesn't expose relations in the UI, but does not break them and makes
the same relatively smart choices as P2 when users make operations on ways
and nodes in relations.

"break a lot" is unfounded and untrue: users have been testing iD for weeks
now and we are not seeing significant problems from this approach.

> +1 in case of feature X, but freeform tagging is one of the key features
that really make osm what it is

What's the assertion here, that iD doesn't support freeform tagging? That's
entirely incorrect: read the issues and look at the user interface. iD
supports freeform tagging: just click 'other' and use the tags UI if you
don't want to use presets.

Tom