On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Ben Pfaff <b...@nicira.com> wrote:
> Stepping back: I support your basic proposal, that "ovs-vsctl
> add-port" should report a problem if the port cannot successfully be
> added.  The issue is that, so far, the approaches I've seen don't fit
> well with the overall Open vSwitch design.  Here is another approach
> that fits better: make "ovs-vsctl add-port" check the value that
> ovs-vswitchd assigns to the "ofport" column in the new Interface
> record.  When a port is added successfully, this column receives a
> positive integer value; when adding a port fails, it receives the
> value -1.  I'd accept a patch to do this.

Yeah, this looks indeed a better approach.

So, in add_port() we have to wait for ovs-vswitch to commit this value
and then check it? But

ovsrec_interface_get_ofport(ifaces[0], OVSDB_TYPE_INTEGER);

this returns [] even I added ovsdb_idl_txn_wait(), so I must be missing
something here...

> Currently, nothing reports the particular reason why a port cannot be
> added, but if this is really necessary (it seems like a fairly minor
> refinement) then we could add a column to hold a status string.

Yes, it is minor.