Since we have a new dev branch, I'd like to start this discussion.
As you might know, free text fields in OTRS can't be translated
currently. This is true for the labels and for the values.
In some scenarios, for instance if you have a yes/no dropdown  field,
you would obviously want to translate the contents of the field. In
other scenarios, for instance if you have an external ticket number
reference, you don't want to translate the field.
There can also be scenarios where you have a dropdown field, but don't
want to be able to translate the contents, for instance if you have a
department or a company name in there.

Then you also have the option where you have a selection field for the
freetext KEY itself; I aways find this very confusing looking; and
there's also the possibility that the user can enter the key; which I
find even more confusing. See below for a screenshot of a required free
text field with free user input, and a selection key field.

Apart from all of the strange fields; I'd like to propose the following:
* Free TIME field keys should always be translated. (or is there a use
case for NOT doing this?
* Free TEXT keys and values should all have sysconfig switches for
translation, default to 'Yes', to specify wether or not the key and
value should be translated.

If we implement it like this (in OTRS 3.1) would this actually break any
setups? Did I miss any possible scenarios?

Regards,

Mike