I don't have a very firm position on the best approach for system articles. In
our situation, agents REALLY don't want to see them. For AgentTicketZoom this
was, fortunately, resolved by enabling filters and then each agent filtered out
those system articles. This calmed them down but now they have a new complaint.
They feel misled by the tickets-with-unread-articles counter from the main
toolbar. They don't want it to take under account tickets that only have unread
system articles. The best solution would be to mark system articles as read as
they are created.

I don't think it's worth your effort to not store auto-replies as articles
because they can can be filtered out in AgentTicketZoom. Value would be added -
at least in my situation - if you can somehow introduce the

+1 for this. They’re administrative actions that need to be in the ticket
history (if nothing else to CYA for response time SLA processing), but probably
aren’t all that helpful to the agents in most cases. There is a point to be
made about escalation articles and articles related to SLA violations, but I
think that could be managed by a systemwide “don’t count system articles”
switch (if you care about escalation, etc, you ought to be reading the system
articles).