> split?  regex?  huh?
>
> if ($mod_perl::VERSION >= 1.99) {
>     #this is 2.x
> }
> else {
>    #this is 1.x
> }

One the one side you are right, but I had some bad experiences with doing
floating point comparisons on version numbers. The one thing was, that due
to locale settings your decimal  point changes to a comma and since the
version is a string (I use $ENV{MOD_PERL} currently), it will no longer
converted to the same number, on the other side people tend to use versions
like 1.1, 1.2..., 1.9, 1.10 in which case you get a wrong ordering 1.10 <
1.9 ! I know mod_perl has used always two digits after the decimal point, so
the later case isn't the point for mod_perl.

So for mod_perl is maybe always safe to say $mod_perl::VERSION >= 1.99 if
$mod_perl::VERSION is a number and will never be a string. The regex thing
is just precaution, because of bad experinces in the past.

Gerald

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Voice:    +49 6133 925131