Carl Brewer wrote:
[...]
Also what happens if you change

BEGIN {
    use constant APACHE_TEST_INSTALL => -e 'Apache-Test';
    use lib './Apache-Test';
    require 'install-pl' if APACHE_TEST_INSTALL;
}

to:

BEGIN {
    use constant APACHE_TEST_INSTALL => -e 'Apache-Test';

I think this is the bit that isn't working.  The constant isn't being
set, so the -e 'Apache-Test' test is failing.

What do you mean by 'the constant not being set"? It's either true or false, bu it's always set. Does this work for you?

perl -lwe 'use constant A => -e "Apache-Test1"; print A ? "OK" : "NOT OK";'
NOT OK
perl -lwe 'use constant A => -e "Apache-Test"; print A ? "OK" : "NOT OK";'
OK

it's fine if Apache-Test is not there. APACHE_TEST_INSTALL should return false.

This would be consistant with there being no such directory if you
do a straight CVS checkout, rather than untar'ing a distribution
and then using CVS updates.  Is this something we need to fix in
the CVS tree, or something?

Actually, it's not. If you do a fresh checkout, you get Apache-Test checked out as well. Only if you remove it and do 'cvs up' it won't re-fetch that directory.

But now that you told me the circumstances the problem happens at, I'm able to reproduce it, after removing 'Apache-Test'. So I'll fix it ;)