On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Niall Pemberton wrote:
I've used POI/HSSF for a number of years, parsing excel sheets using the event model. Until now we knew the format of the data we were expecting and processed accordingly.

Now however I want to be able to get numeric data in the format its displayed to the user - dates, numbers currencies. Looking around HSSF I don't really see anything for converting the excel data format into an equivalent java one (e.g. DecimalFormat / SimpleDateFormat). The only related thing I found was for the built in formats in SVTableCellRenderer in "contrib" (see http://tinyurl.com/2d2bw9).

There was something posted to the list a little while back:
Unfortunately it didn't come with any user tests, and wasn't attached to bugzilla, so never got applied.

If you fancy testing it and reporting back, that'd be great :)

If committed, not sure if it should go into org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFDataFormat, or just placed in a new class under org.apache.poi.hssf.util

Nick