Hi Jody, Niklas, and Eike,

On 9/22/05, Jody Goldberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The time varying nature of MS Excel does have the potential for
> problems in the future.  However, Microsoft is even more strongly
> bound by the chains of backwards compatibility than we are.  I
> suspect that the differences will be small, and well documented.

I agree with this viewpoint.  I don't foresee Excel's cell functions
changing significantly as such a change would cause MS a backword
compatibility headache as much as it does to us.  Plus, our potential
users would probably appreciate this, too.

But speaking in the short-term, what would that affect us with those
existing Calc functions that share the same name as Excel but behave
differently?  For instance, there exists the CONVERT function that
work differently from Excel's counterpart, but we use CONVERT_ADD for
compatibility reasons.  I've known of several others that are just
like that, with a _ADD suffix.

Another concern is, say, we have come up with a great and useful cell
function that would only exist in Calc but not in Excel.  Would such a
new cell function be easily accepted, or rejected out of fear that it
would cause a compatibility headache with other spreadsheet programs
(or simply that it would not conform to the OpenFormula standard)?

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida
OpenOffice.org Calc contributor