On 11/11/06, Rahul Akolkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Author: craigmcc
> Date: Fri Nov 10 20:16:19 2006
> New Revision: 473638

> Log:
> Partial fix for cleaning up static resources at application shutdown
> (SHALE-274) for the basic implementation.  This took several changes:
> * We needed a servlet context listener that can call
>   PropertyUtils.clearDescriptors() and LogFactory.release().
> * In order to get this without requiring the user to configure a listener
>   manually in web.xml, create a dummy "tag library" inside the JAR
>   (META-INF/taglib.tld) that serves to declare the listener.
> * Since we now have an application startup/shutdown instance, migrate
>   the dialog configuration parsing from "first use" in BasicDialogManager
>   to "application startup time" as well.
>
> With these changes, we have successfully cleaned up issues that caused
> the Commons BeanUtils and Commons Logging jars to remain locked after
> undeployment on a Windows platform.  However, there is still something
> that prevents shale-dialog-basic-xxx.jar itself from being deleted -- and
> this means there will be a memory leak over multiple application deploys
> and undeploys.  This needs to be investigated and fixed before this issue
> can be considered as "dealt with" for the basic implementation.
>
> The Commons SCXML implementation is going to need the same sort of changes
> (can be tagged against SHALE-274 as well), but it's likely to have its own
> set of different issues about leaving the shale-dialog-scxml-xxx.jar file
> locked.

<snip/>

Thanks for the heads-up. Will take a look at the Commons SCXML impl
from a similar perspective when I'm done traveling (Wed).

<snip/>

OK, can't seem to reproduce this locally (even without the JCL and
BeanUtils cleanup, since the dialog-scxml module doesn't yet have
that). I'm on:

XP SP2
Tomcat 5.0.28 (using manager to undeploy)

Any other hints?

-Rahul