On Dec 14, 2006, at 9:22 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

Yes, shale-master is released independently.  It has to be released in
advance of the framework so we don't have a snapshot as a <parent>.

Oh, I see.  When I first looked at it I couldn't find a version number.

shale-parent.pom - The base POM for shale subprojects.  It defines
the modules, base dependencies, etc.  If we release anything (shale-
remoting, for example), we also have to release shale-parent, which
means we have to release everything, right?

Right now, the build process is set up to release everything together.
It's not a Maven requirement-- consider the Maven plugins, which have
a parent pom, yet get released one at a time.

Whether to release "the framework" together or in pieces is just
something we need to decide, figure out how to communicate to users,
and then adjust the build to match.

Sounds like that decision is the next logical step then. If we went with separate releases for each artifact does that just involve removing the modules from the shale-parent POM?

What about shipping shale-tiles in a directory other than 'lib' to
indicate that it isn't part of the "normal" distribution?  Something
like the 'contrib' directory in Struts 1.2 that includes struts-el and
struts-faces.

I saw something about Struts 2 marking things as "experimental". I'm not sure how they are doing that though.

Greg