Dear Shindig community,

we are facing a challange in our project, that we are using Shindig to
collect activities from various systems and want to show activities coming
from Shindig in every system. Currently Shindig only delivers the basic
activity data like activity verb, object, target and so on. However, we’d
like to show a natural language version of the activity in the activity
stream (full sentence) which includes multi-lingual presentation of the
contents. An example would be „<actor> has added a comment to <object>“ or
standard specifies the title attribute for that purpose.

 <http://activitystrea.ms/specs/json/1.0/#activity>
http://activitystrea.ms/specs/json/1.0/#activity

In Shindig this attribute attribute is present and handled, but only in a
pass-through manner.

In order to avoid duplication of code, our natural choice would be to extend
Shindig to generate the natural language version of the activities in the
title attribute, if title is not present in the database. We would use files
for translation and formatting templates (only string formatting, not
colouring or layout), so that every administrator can influence both without
any coding.

Would this be an interesting extension for the Shindig base system and do
you have any suggestions on how to integrate such an extension from an
architecture point of view? We are e.g. not sure whether to deliver several
translation in the same JSON as shown here

<http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-activitystreams-core-20141023/#naturalLanguage
Values>
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-activitystreams-core-20141023/#naturalLanguageV
alues

or use a parameter from the client to choose the language.

My guess would be that other people will face similar problems.

Regards

René