I suspect my use case is very specific and is intertwined with a few
other things, but basically...

I make heavy use of workspaces in my CMS for content branches.
Subdomains of a parent domain are used to identify which workspace
should be used. Setting the auth cookie on the parent domain allows for
users to view content in different branches (workspaces) without
re-authenticating.

Another use case (just thinking out loud here), would be to use Sling as
an SSO provider, again by setting the cookie on a parent domain and then
having a ServletFilter on each client application which check the cookie
against the Sling instance. It's no SAML, but would work.

Justin