Here my 2 cents about Sling Tooling & vault,

IMHO vault is pure JCR Tooling. And even if some people do not like the
fact, but the resourcetree is different from the jcr tree. So in
consequence this additional abstraction of the Resource API is there (even
without additional resource resolvers, since Sling Servlets are not present
in the JCR Tree as well). Due to that I think vault AS IS is not the right
choice since this would hide everything happening on the resourcetree
layer. Having a complete view on the Resourcetree at least in the /apps and
/libs section would be something I really would appreciate.

Best regards
Dominik