I personally think creating a new thing from scratch is easier, sure there
might a little bit of work - but on the other hand it comes with a lot of
benefits.

However, whoever does the work can decide - and why not having more than
one prototype and then see whats the better way?

Or in other words, I think it makes sense at least to think about this
issue green field without already having existing solutions prediction the
final solution.

Carsten