On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...maybe, if we go with the executor service and have additional metadata
> (service properties) on the health checks indicating if they are long
> running etc. this could be handled in the executor service...

While the intention is fine I don't think this can be more than a hint
- a health check that calls an external service, for example, might
usually execute very quickly, and take very long when TCP timeouts
happen. My suggestion earlier in this thread takes the execution time
into account dynamically, so no need for metadata, it's "reality
driven" ;-)

> ...Of course, this would require that a client of a health check always uses
> the executor service, but I think that's fine...

I agree with that, the alternative would be to manipulate the health
checks bytecode, but that sounds complicated for not much benefits.

-Bertrand