Hi Stefan,
The big problem IMHO with injecting by class vs. name is that by class
is too ambigious in many cases. For example, in AEM, it is relatively
common to want to inject a Page object, but in fact there are two
different page objects which come into play (currentPage and
resourcePage) and getting the wrong one could be highly problematic.
You are correct that things like the request and response could
presumably be injected by class rather than by name, but the question
then becomes how do we judge these cases? In my opinion, the bindings
names are sensible. I personally don't find myself wanting to write
this very often:

@Inject
private SlingHttpServletRequest somenameOtherThanRequest;

The self injector is interesting. I held off on that initially because
it seems too easy to create a circular injection. Any thoughts on how
that can be avoided?

I'm certainly open to patches which broaden the scope for constructor
injection and @PreDestroy.

Regards,
Justin