Hi Oliver,

> On Wednesday 05 November 2014 08:45:36 Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi Tommaso,
>
> > While reviewing Sling Replication on its road to the first release me and
> > Marius, with the help of some colleagues at Adobe, have cleaned up the
> APIs
> > [1] and the documentation / javadoc significantly but also found out that
> > probably 'replication' is not the best name we could find.
> >
> > In first place it was called Sling Replication because it originated as a
> > new effort to address AEM publishing tasks that we used to call
> > "replication" at Adobe, however we think this is not the proper name
> > because the replication term [2] mostly refers to being able to create
> and
> > maintain multiple copies of the same thing for resiliency, failover, etc.
> > (see examples of 'replication' in other ASF projects [3][4][5][6][7])
> while
> > our Sling module's main features deal with:
> > - copying resources from Sling instanceA to Sling instanceB by pulling or
> > pushing
> > - synchronizing resources under certain paths (keeping them the same)
> among
> > Sling instances
> >
> > We internally discussed the following name alternatives:
> > - Sling content synchronization module
> > - Sling content mirroring module
> > - Sling content distribution module
> >
> > and the first two seemed to us a bit too much related to bidirectional
> full
> > instance sync while the latter seems to fit nicely with the module
> > capabilities, therefore I'd propose to change "Sling replication module"
> > name into "Sling content distribution module".
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> isn't it also configuration distribution (so not only "content") or with
> other
> words resource distribution in general (sorry, I'm not yet into this
> stuff)?
> So maybe just Sling Distribution?

I think saying "what" we intend to distribute would be good; I also
considered proposing 'resources' instead of 'content' but what I was
concerned of was the eventual misunderstanding of "resource distribution"
as a pretty overridden term, both in computer science and in other fields
(human rights, trade, etc.).

Regards,
Tommaso