On Wed, 2016-02-24 at 10:54 +0100, Oliver Lietz wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 February 2016 10:26:24 Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Oliver Lietz <apache@oliverlietz.
> > de>
> wrote:
> >

> > > ...We do have roughly 250 modules (and counting) in SVN and I
> > > don't think
> > > we can switch at once...
> > We can, if we use a computer ;-)
> >
> > If we decide to move to Git we might first reorganize modules and
> > poms
> > as needed, and create scripts to move things so we can do dry runs.
> > Then, when the scripts are tested, switch everything at once.
> It takes "ages" even with computers and they only have one big repo:
> https://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/196-zonker/787127-apache-ha
> doop-transitions-to-git
>
> Should we ask infra for support? Do we need a vote?

_If_ we decide to move to Git ( including how and when ) we can perform
some dry-runs which create git repos out of Maven modules and push them
to a unofficial account on github.

I suggest we involve infra only when we know exactly what we want to
do.

As for an the duration of the conversion, here's what I did for the
jackrabbit-server bundle:

$ git clone https://github.com/apache/sling.git sling-import
$ cd sling-import
$ git filter-branch --subdirectory-filter bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server
Rewrite eb7e75b8f92ce96f1a4f804676b90fc08a377834 (115/143) (1 seconds
passed, remaining 0 predicted)
Ref 'refs/heads/trunk' was rewritten

Clock time was about 3 seconds for the git filter-branch call.

Do you have some references about migrating to git at Apache? The
durations mentioned in the article seem like _a lot_.

Thanks,

Robert