Hi Eugen,

On Sat, 2017-05-20 at 21:24 +0300, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> Hello Sling ,
>
> I've noticed sling 9 is quite big. The latest snapshot jar is about
> 107 MB.
>
> - ~40MB of this is occupied by install/10/tike-bundle-1.14.jar . Is
> this
> bundle always required?

This (IIRC) is required for full-text search to function in Oak.

> - removing install/0/org.apache.sling.samples.slingshot-0.8.0.jar can
> shave another 5MB

Yes, but it's explicitly in there because we want to include a demo of
an application with the default download.

> Reducing the sling-launchpad image size should make the platform
> easier
> to work with.

For more context, we see the Sling Launchpad as a 'demo' platform which
allows you to quickly get your feet wet and understand how Sling works.

For production usage, I would expect most people would define their own
launchpad, potentially from an existing Launchpad. There's also support
for dynamically removing artifacts from an existing launchpad, see [1],
but I'm not sure how many use it for that exact purpose.

HTH,

Robert

[1]: http://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/slingstart.html#
removing-and-changing-of-artifacts