> > I have no idea how painful linked lists are in Perl (or if they even
exist).

> Why are you commenting then???

Because they are very useful, as I pointed out.

> They don't exist as a native data structure.  Arrays are fast, painless,
> and dynamically sized.

They don't exist as a native data structure in C++ either.  But they get a
lot of use. Even when template classes exist to do reasonably fast and
reasonably painless dynamic arrays.  For certain things (like collections of
objects that can get reordered frequently) they are generally more efficient
than dynamic arrays.

If there is an SA coding requirement for only using native data structures,
then forget lists.  If no such requirement exists and there is an interest
in optimizing performance, then they should be a tool to be considered.

        Loren