Theo Van Dinter writes:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 08:09:10PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> > SpamAssassin 3.0.1 is released!  3.0.1 contains some important
> > bugfixes, and is recommended.
>
> Another couple of notes about the release.  Apparently the
> dist/spamassassin/source files for 3.0.0 were removed -- so the only version
> available for download now is 3.0.1.  Don't we want to keep the older
> version(s) available for at least some period of time?

This is going by what the ASF guidelines for usage of the mirrored
www.apache.org/dist/ say *must* be done.   see
http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html ,
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html ,
http://cvs.apache.org/~bodewig/mirror.html ,
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/convert-to-mirror.html .
However, I think I agree -- leaving the old versions there for
a short while makes more sense.   Take a read over those and see
what you think.

The fundamental problem this time around was that I miscomputed that
?update parameter.  we should create a simple build script that generates
the correct value for us to cut and paste and cut down on faulty
brain-work. ;)

There *is* another problem, though -- since the downloads.html/.cgi page
is on the single un-mirrored site, and the downloads are on the mirrors
which may be up to 24 hours out of sync, we would still have to use the
?update=200409211830 parameter on the downloads.cgi URL to ensure that
only up-to-date mirrors are used; otherwise the download link will either

    - (a) if it points to Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.1.tar.gz, return a 404

    - (b) if it points to Mail-SpamAssassin-current.tar.gz, return the old
      file which will not match the checksums, and that's not good.

> Also, the dist/spamassassin/source files were removed, but not the symlinks to
> them in dist/spamassassin -- so there were 12 bad symlinks lying around.
> I've already received a complaint note about it, so I removed the bad
> symlinks.

oops.  my fault!  we need to update build/README to reflect that.

> I really don't understand why we put the source files in the source directory,
> and then have symlinks for them all in the parent directory.  Just put the
> source files in the parent directory!

Again, ASF guidelines.  It might be worth asking infrastructure@ if the
guidelines can be ignored in this case... although I'm not sure there's
a big win.

- --j.