Frederik Eaton wrote:
> How are the rule weights for spamassassin generated? There is a method
> called "boosting"

The rule weights are generated using a single-layer perceptron, as described
in the wiki link that Daniel mentioned.

I'm writing a paper this semester [I hope :-)] looking at the applicability
of the simple methods used by SpamAssassin to some classification problems
in microarray gene expression data. I expect to look at boosting along with
that, along the lines of  Jackson, J. and Craven, M.,  Learning Sparse
Perceptrons, Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 8 (Conference
Proceedings of NIPS*95), 1996 http://www.mathcs.duq.edu/~jackson/bbp.pdf

So far I don't think that it has been tried. If anyone has looked at it it
would have been Henry Stern, who came up with the perceptron for
SpamAssassin rule scoring.

 -- sidney