Theo Van Dinter writes:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:11:24PM +0000, Justin Mason wrote:
> > > more config files that go with plugins, so they should be in rules and
> > > not rulesrc
> >
> > Hold on -- I'm not keen on this.  What's wrong with "ifplugin"?
>
> There's nothing wrong with "ifplugin", but the idea was to have
> code-related rules in the rules area, and not rulesrc.  plugins are code,
> and we already had the other plugin files (uribl, razor, dcc, awl, etc,)
> in rules.  I was just moving the outliers into the right place.

I thought the idea was to share as many rules as possible between
releases, by keeping them in rulesrc instead of rules?

These are not really code-tied rules -- they're just a rule type
implemented by a plugin!

The check_rbl() syntax, and the URIDNSBL rule syntax, hasn't changed afaik
since 3.0.  That's nice version portability, and rules using those
syntaxes can live safely in rulesrc as a result, in my opinion.

If we make it a guideline that rules implemented using "check_rbl()" or
"urirhssub" are considered "code-tied" rules, as much as let's say

  header NO_DNS_FOR_FROM          eval:check_dns_sender()

and therefore should go in "rules", we can't test them in a sandbox --
instead we'd have to throw them in with the released set in
rules/25_uribl.cf, or revive the obsolete rules/70_testing.cf idea again.
I think this is messy.

Basically I was planning to keep rules as much as possible in rulesrc, and
where possible, render the "rules" dir obsolete -- just use it as the
place where mkrules writes its output.

Otherwise we run into a situation where there isn't really much point in
*having* the rulesrc-vs-rules differentiation!

(Bear in mind that rules in "rules" are considered legacy rules, are not
compiled/lint-checked, are allowed to get past the new accuracy
requirements, and so on.  It really is a legacy situation.)

--j.