Theo Van Dinter writes:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 02:42:44PM +0000, Justin Mason wrote:
> > First step, I think, is to define a schedule.  How does this sound?
> > (based approximately on what we did for 3.1.0:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Release310Schedule )
> >
> >   - T + 0 days: announce a heads-up mail. clean up our corpora, get ready
> >     for mass-checking, try out mass-check to spot any big memory leaks or
> >     whatnot, fix remaining bugs that affect mass-checks (esp bug 5260!),
> >     get people signed up, enable all rules in svn.
>
> Ok.
>
> >   - T + 1 week, around a Thursday or so: start --bayes --net mass-checks;
> >     move to C-T-R.
>
> Did we really whittle it down to a single mass-check?  I could have sworn
> there were still at least 2 required.

I know, I thought so too -- but looking back through 3.1.0 history,
I can find only one.  given the --learn thing, it seems fine.

> IMO, I'd hold off on CTR as long as possible.  Being a major release, I'd like
> to give as much time in pre-release/CTR state as possible.

OK, fine with that.

> >   - T + 3 weeks, a Monday or so: hopefully finish mass-checks, bugs
> >     allowing ;) (note that includes two weekends.)
> >
> >   - T + 3 weeks: perceptron runs, voting on new proposed scores, etc
> >
> >   - T + 4 weeks and a bit: hopefully ready to release
>
> There's no testing time in here.  Around T+0 I'd recommend doing a pre-release
> cycle, we can work through that while doing the mass-checks.  So far there are
> probably only enough people running 3.2 that I could count them on one hand,
> so a wider test would be good.

ok, prerelease at T + 0 makes sense -- agreed.

> After the scores are set, we should do a final RC set of releases just to make
> sure, then the full release after that.

ok.  so something like this?

  - T + 0 days: issue prerelease. announce a heads-up mail. clean up our
    corpora, get ready for mass-checking, try out mass-check to spot any
    big memory leaks or whatnot, fix remaining bugs that affect
    mass-checks (esp bug 5260!), get people signed up, enable all rules in
    svn.

  - T + 1 week, around a Thursday or so: start --bayes --net mass-checks.

  - T + 3 weeks, a Monday or so: hopefully finish mass-checks, bugs
    allowing ;) (note that includes two weekends.)

  - T + 3 weeks: perceptron runs, voting on new proposed scores, etc.
    how's about C-T-R once the new scores are applied? then final
    RC set of releases...

  - T + N weeks: once we are happy with an RC (so N could be any number
    > 3), redo that RC as a full release.

--j.