The place of the RDD API in 2.0 is also something I've been wondering
about.  I think it may be going too far to deprecate it, but changing
emphasis is something that we might consider.  The RDD API came well before
DataFrames and DataSets, so programming guides, introductory how-to
articles and the like have, to this point, also tended to emphasize RDDs --
or at least to deal with them early.  What I'm thinking is that with 2.0
maybe we should overhaul all the documentation to de-emphasize and
reposition RDDs.  In this scheme, DataFrames and DataSets would be
introduced and fully addressed before RDDs.  They would be presented as the
normal/default/standard way to do things in Spark.  RDDs, in contrast,
would be presented later as a kind of lower-level, closer-to-the-metal API
that can be used in atypical, more specialized contexts where DataFrames or
DataSets don't fully fit.