In terms of advertising to people the status of the release and whether an
RC is likely to go out, the best mechanism I can think of is our current
mechanism of using JIRA and respecting the semantics of a blocker JIRA. We
could do a better job though creating a JIRA dashboard for each release and
linking to it publicly so it's very clear to people what is going on. I
have always used one privately when managing previous releases, but no
reason we can't put one up on the website or wiki.

IMO a mailing list is not a great mechanism for the fine-grained work of
release management because of the sheer complexity and volume of finalizing
a spark release. Being a release manager means tracking over a course of
several weeks typically dozens of distinct issues and trying to prioritize
them, get more clarity from the report of those issues, possibly reaching
out to people on the phone or in person to get more details, etc. You want
a mutable dashboard where you can convey the current status clearly.

What might be good in the early stages is a weekly e-mail to the dev@ list
just refreshing what is on the JIRA and letting people know how things are
looking. So someone just passing by has some idea of how things are going
and can chime in, etc.

Once an RC is cut then we do mostly rely on the mailing list for
discussion. At that point the number of known issues is small enough I
think to discuss in an all-to-all fashion.

- Patrick