Xiangrui and I are leading an effort to implement a highly desirable
feature, Barrier Execution Mode.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-24374. This introduces a new
scheduling model to Apache Spark so users can properly embed distributed DL
training as a Spark stage to simplify the distributed training workflow.
The prototype has been demoed in the Spark Summit keynote. This new feature
got a very positive feedback from the whole community. The design doc and
pull requests got more comments than we initially anticipated. We want to
finish this feature in the upcoming release, Spark 2.4. Would it be
possible to have an extension of code freeze for a week?

Thanks,

Xingbo